Sunday, March 30, 2008

The Search is Over...for Now...

After updating my resume, gathering my references, and going to interviews...my summer plans are finally set. I was so worried about what I was going to do this summer when a number of opportunities came my way all at the same time. I was relieved to know that I had choices, but it was hard to make a decision...especially since this is the last summer before I graduate. Just learning from other broadcast majors at Westminster College and their past experiences, I realized that a powerful internship the summer before graduation can lead to a possible job right out of college...or at least it will look good on a resume when looking for jobs elsewhere.

After much deliberation...I decided to take the internship at Newchannel 5 in Cleveland, working for the noon news. I went to an interview when I was home during spring break. Besides not knowing where to park, the whole experience went rather well. First, I met with the internship coordinator who wrote down some of my general education and experience information. Then, we went down to meet with the Noon News Producer for Newschannel 5, Ellen McGregor. It wouldn't be fair to say I wasn't nervous, but once I sat down and started talking to her, I felt pretty comfortable. Ellen was really nice and asked pertinent questions...such as what I consider when producing a show, what experience I have in regards to producing and reporting, and why I was interested in this internship. I answered the questions honestly and as best I could. At the end, she said she would contact me by Friday of that week. Also, before I left the station, Ellen showed me around the studio and the newsroom.

The week seemed to drag on forever, and when Friday rolled around, I was checking my e-mail every 30 minutes. By the end of the day, I was pretty bummed...I was fairly certain that Ellen would contact me either way, but now I wasn't so sure. After the weekend passed, I wasn't expecting anything...but a surprise came my way on Monday when an e-mail showed up in my inbox from Ellen. She said she was sorry that she didn't get back to me right away, but that I had gotten the internship!! I will be working three days a week (Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday) from 7:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. My responsibilities include helping with the production of the show, writing some news, going out with photographers and assisting them, greeting and making the guests feel comfortable, and much more. I think this internship will be a great learning experience into how a television station runs in a bigger network area.

Also, I think this will help me to figure out what I want to do as a career after I graduate. Right now, I'm split between radio and television. I had an internship with the Fish radio station last summer, and now I can gain TV experience with Newschannel 5. I was rather proud of myself because I was the first intern Ellen contacted. She may bring in another intern to work the other two days, but nothing is certain yet.

Funny thing is that right before I sent an e-mail back to Ellen telling her I would take the internship...I checked my mail at school and found a letter from WKYC, the NBC news station affiliate in Cleveland. The letter said that the station would be conducting interviews this coming week for their internships and the I should call to schedule one!! I had sent in my resume to WKYC before the beginning of the year and was surprised to hear back from them as well.

In the end, I decided to just stick with Newschannel 5, the ABC affiliate. I knew that the internship at 5 was a for sure thing, and most of the WKYC internships were full-time positions, 40 hours per week. At least with Newschannel 5, I will have the opportunity to baby-sit two days a week and make some money to pay for expenses this summer. However, I'm going to contact WKYC and thank them for the invitation to interview...because you never know where you may end up in the future....

So...for now...the search is over, but I know that not too far off, I'm going to be busy looking for jobs that I could do after I graduate. I have a feeling that senior year will fly by, and soon enough I'm be back in the "real" world...until then, I'm content to intern and learn as much as I can from those who have been in the business for years!!

2 comments:

Brad Weaver, BC Instructor said...

The chase just changes locations...the search never really ends, does it?

Nicky Piszczor said...

No, it never really ends...