Sunday, April 6, 2008

Building Character...

My experiences this semester have helped to build my character as a broadcaster and as a person. I have learned how to deal with extreme pressure, how to function on little sleep (if that's really possible), how to produce a good TV story, and how to approach a lot of difficult situations.

One of the accomplishments I'm most proud of, however, is how I've grown in my abilities as a storyteller...through the video medium. In particular, my Broadcast Journalism II class has allowed me the opportunity to create more TV packages to add to my resume...by doing this, I've had the time to develop my skills and to travel down new avenues in my stories.

For example, I've been experimenting with my stand ups. I try to make them more interesting by using props, by using appropriate movement, by looking at a particular subject from a different angle and much more. In addition, I've been using more close-up shots in my stories. I've been utilizing the tripod more to get better shots overall...and most importantly, I've really been writing to my video. However, I've realized it's best to start writing, or at least visualizing, your story in the field, so you can get the shots you need to write to your video.

Although, all of these considerations are important and essential to good storytelling...one piece of advice has helped me more than ever: the practice of building characters. Just like in any good novel or movie, characters make the story what it is; one can't tell a good story without good characters. Sometimes, I think news storytellers forget this element when producing a TV package. The may shoot compelling video or talk about a big event, but personally I think the stories that capture a person's attention the most are those of human interest...with characters that reach out to the soul and to the heart.

So far, this semester, I've produced three TV packages...with one more in the works. My third package was by far the best I've ever done. I visited a farm in West Middlesex...where one lady raises and breeds miniature horses. Not only did I have compelling and cute video, but Elaine Jones was a character. She was so devoted to her mini-horses, and all her other pets for that matter, that she considered them a part of her family. She was a true character...and that came across in the interview I did with her. Besides, I thought the name of her company was so cute: Jones' Mini-Whinnies! Check out my story on mini-horses and let me know what you think!


1 comment:

Brad Weaver, BC Instructor said...

Love seeing the video here...it pulls the who reflection together.