Sunday, April 27, 2008

The Next Step...

Now it's time to take the next step in my capstone class as the semester draws to a close. This past Thursday, my fellow classmates and I had to present our final senior projects to the rest of the broadcast department. We had been discussing possible projects with one of our professors for weeks, but now each of us needed to have our final projects approved by the rest of the department's professors.

It was serious...and the department heads meant business. I can't blame them...I mean, this is what we will all spend our entire semester working on next fall. And really...I liked how the broadcast department faculty were critical, because it helped all of us to focus our topics...plus that's how it is in the broadcast business, anyways.

To be honest, I had one idea in mind, but while listening to other people present and to the professors' responses, I changed my topic slightly before I went up to pitch my project. Originally, I wanted to focus on the growing phenomenon of "infotainment" in broadcast reporting (especially since I will be working with a news and entertainment show for my internship at Newschannel 5 this summer...), but I really wasn't sure what value I would gain from doing a project on that...besides I think that topic lent itself towards doing a research paper.

Instead I decided to focus on the art of feature storytelling...what elements make up a good feature story, how do reporters seek to capture the human interest, what kind of subjects make the most interesting feature stories, etc. In addition, feature stories are non-dated, making one done well, a great addition to my resume tape!

After much deliberation, I decided that I would explore this area of reporting for my senior project, and at the same time, I would create a collection of feature stories revolving around Lawrence and Mercer Counties to be aired on the County Line. One professor, Mr. Corso, said I should develop a theme...right now I'm considering surrounding the stories around historical landmarks and facts about these two counties or have my own "Made in Lawrence/Mercer County..." segment, which features the different products made in this area...or maybe I will come up with something different. My working title right now is "Recapturing Human Interest through Feature Storytelling."

Basically, I want to create my own feature TV segment on the County Line and brand it...make it my own, with an open and everything! Plus, I can re-purpose my project for the web (by creating my own Web site for the segment, posting it in conjunction with the County Line, or posting the stories on my blog) and for the radio by creating a special audio version of my stories for Dr. B's Sunday morning shows on Titan Radio.

That may sound like a lot already...but I don't want to forget my love for TV producing with this project. At the end of the semester, I plan to compile my stories to make one longer video about Lawrence/Mercer Counties (maybe even debut it somewhere like the Lawrence County Historical Society?) Right now, I'm caught between reporting and producing (actually, I still like a lot of other aspects of broadcasting, but this project intrigues me the most...), but this project will allow me the opportunity to expand my skills in both areas. Next semester will be a busy one, but I'm up for the challenge!!

1 comment:

Brad Weaver, BC Instructor said...

Often the liberal arts approach to broadcasting and media creates an identity crisis for students as they try to narrow in on a focus for a project or for career goals. However, a project does not dictate a career path...and a career path can change and go in so many different directions. Do what you are passionate about and if your goals change from where that project was taking you...well, that's okay. Your ready for a rapidly changing world and that changing world includes how you and your life change.