Saturday, March 15, 2008

Too Many Opportunities?

It seems kind of impossible doesn't it? Too many opportunities? In the world of broadcasting, having a variety of different options is normally a good thing. But at the semester winds down, I find myself caught in the middle of a crossroads...I'm not sure what I'm going to do this summer, and I'm still trying to narrow down my ideas for my senior capstone project...

As I got ready for spring break, I started to seriously think about the summer and realized I have ton of opportunities this summer, and I can't seem to choose. And it all hit me this week...

In mid-February, I received a letter in my school mailbox from WEWS Newschannel 5 in Cleveland. I had applied there for an internship when I was home during Christmas break before the New Year started. After more than a month had passed, I wasn't really expecting anything, but then there was that letter sitting in my mailbox. The letter said I should call and set up an interview for the internship of my choice. I called a couple days later and set up an interview for the Noon News internship, which involves working with the show producers. My interview is this coming Monday...I'm pretty nervous, mainly because I've heard these internships are pretty competitive. I'm just going to give it my best, and see what happens...

I thought that I was pretty lucky to hear back from WEWS, but just this past week, another opportunity was passed my way. A couple of weeks ago, my senior capstone class was required to attend a job/internship fair at the college. I walked around the fair with a few other broadcast majors, and when we stopped at the WKBN/WYFX TV table, I decided to give the station a copy of my resume. I figured it couldn't hurt. Well, this past Wednesday, I got an e-mail from the executive producer at WKBN saying she had been flipping through resumes and came upon mine. She said I would be a perfect fit for an internship there, and if I didn't have anything lined up for the spring/summer, I should give her a call!! The station is in Youngstown, close to school, so maybe when I'm out at college, I could do an internship there. The summer is a little bit iffy, since it would be a long drive every morning, but I'm keeping my options open for now...maybe I could do something there during the fall next year? We'll see...

To top it all off...I'm still working for Newsradio 1200 WKST in New Castle as a part-time news producer/anchor and board operator. I know that the radio station wants me to work for them over the summer...but I don't think it's really feasible as I'll be living back at home in Cleveland and can't really afford to live on my own out at school during the summer. Plus, I'm welcome back at the Fish radio station where I interned last summer...or I can work a little for Buckeye Distributing, a Red Bull distributor, where I worked the two summers before the last...

I think it's safe to say I have too many choices, because I'm still not sure what I want to do as a career, and what I choose to do this summer could play an important role in what I could do later on in life since this is my last summer before I graduate...plus, whatever I choose to do, could help me figure out what I want to do for my senior capstone project.

For right now, I think I'm just going to wait and see how the interview at WEWS goes, and take it from there!! Good luck to everyone else who is busy with interviews right now!!

1 comment:

Brad Weaver, BC Instructor said...

Imagine the folks who don't have choices.