Sunday, March 9, 2008

My Competitive Edge...

Sometimes it amazes me how much I can learn about myself from certain personal experiences. I tend to think that I know myself pretty well, but I'm always discovering new things that hide underneath in my sub-conscious mind. And one team-building activity helped reinforce my self-confidence this week…

My senior capstone class gathered this past Thursday with Titan Traverse to do a variety of activities which centered around communication, teamwork, and trust. Titan Traverse is an organization at Westminster College that sponsors and organizes outdoor trips and activities as well as conducts many team-building activities for all kinds groups on campus.

At the beginning, the Titan Traverse members had my class find a partner and present them to the group, using markers, paper, and play-dough. Then, we played a couple more ice-breaker type games. However, after that, they broke us into two teams and told us we would be doing on our version of the Amazing Race right here on campus!

One of the responsibilities of my capstone class is to apply to the actual Amazing Race TV reality show, by filling out the paper application with my partner (my boyfriend Dave) and creating the video to go along with it. I never really thought that I would be a super contestant on the Amazing Race, but after the activities we did in class I'm not so sure anymore...

I was so competitive!!! I felt this drive to succeed, to get ahead of the other team, to win. Our "Amazing Race" consisted of each team doing a couple of tasks and solving clues together that would take us to our next destination. The race included many tasks such as a maze of items through which two members had to walk through blind-folded while the others gave them verbal instructions and a group activity where we all had to line up in number order while being blind-folded and not speaking. The last task was definitely the hardest as my team had to use stomping, squeezing each other hands, or writing the number on each other's hands to communicate. In the end, my team won!!!!

After the race, we gathered again as a group to talk about our experiences. My class realized that many of the skills we used during the activities...teamwork and communication especially non-verbal communication...can be used to succeed on the Amazing Race show, but also in our own journey in the broadcasting world. We need to utilize our skills...and try new things to do well in this business.

However the most important thing I took away from this whole experience is the fact that I'm more competitive than I thought. I've always wanted to do well and get into this business, but I wasn't sure I had the drive. But I proved myself wrong...if I want it enough, I can do it!! I was cheering on my team the whole time during class, volunteering for tasks, and getting involved as much as I could...and that's what I'm going to do with my broadcasting career. Although I may appear shy at times, I'm just quietly preparing for the next step!! And I can go far...with my competitive edge...

1 comment:

Brad Weaver, BC Instructor said...

Nicky!
Go to your Blogger DASHBOARD and set up the elements that allow you to screen out the scum of earth SPAM freaks. One named GROGAL just left some of that FRAK on your comments.