Sunday, March 2, 2008

Right Hand Man...

I always like to read the blogs of my fellow capstone classmates, and this week I was inspired by Doug Kunst's blog post. He wrote about his role as the director of the County Line, Westminster College's TV news magazine show. He said everything was always up to him...all the responsibility for what went on air fell back on him.

And I know what it's like...I've directed a couple of County Lines myself, and I also direct the sports interview show at Westminster College in New Wilmington, Pa., Coaches' Corner, during the football and basketball season. I've felt the same pressure, the weight on the shoulders. Like Doug, I feel it's a valuable learning experience. Which brings me to this week's blog topic...when I'm not directing or anchoring the County Line, I really love running the switchboard!! I think it's exciting, and I finally feel like I've come up with my own system on how to make everything run smoothly. I always work two steps ahead of what's on air, plus I put the next source in the preset box, so I can check and make sure it's going to be what we want. In addition, I'm constantly checking with graphics to make sure I put them in at the right time.

The TD is in charge of switching back and forth from cameras to videos to graphics using a special board with a number of levers, featured in these pictures. Our board at school has two mix-effects banks that allows the TD the ability to mix different elements on the board. I normally use this when I want to mix a camera with an over the shoulder box graphic for an anchor intro to a package.

This past week, I TDed while Doug was directing, and we worked well together. Doug was like the "coach" of a football team, the crew were the "players," and I was Doug's "right hand man," like an assistant coach. Just like it's important for coaches on a football team to work together and to communicate, I think it's important for the TD and the director to work well together, because they are the role models for the entire rest of the crew. The members of the crew all look up to the TD and the director for guidance, and if those two are positive, resourceful, and responsible, the crew members will also follow their lead. I'm continually learning the importance of good leadership in broadcasting. Nothing beats an inspiring and confident leader...and the "right hand man."

1 comment:

Brad Weaver, BC Instructor said...

I like to connection to Doug's blog and the PIX!