Sunday, February 24, 2008

Uncovering a Secret...

Thinking back, one of the main reasons I started this blog was to showcase my work in broadcasting. And this past week...my work was made available to the public thanks to one of my professors who posted a story I did up on the school radio station's site, TitanRadio.net.

Last semester, I took Broadcast Journalism, which focused on radio news. For one of the last assignments, each student had to produce a long-format radio news feature. I chose something that was not all that easy because it involved a lot of investigative work, but I love a challenge. I decided to discover the truth about Westminster College's Tunnel. Every time I walked through the lobby of my dorm, Browne Hall, I saw steps leading down to a RESTRICTED AREA. This made me wonder...what was down there? I soon found that behind the mystery was the college's tunnel, which had been blocked off to the public for more than a decade. However, this only made me think of more questions.

So when I had to pick a topic for the assignment, I knew exactly what I wanted to do; however, the main problem was who to talk to about the tunnel. After numerous e-mails and phone calls, I found my three top people to cover all angles: a current Westminster student (who could speculate on the rumors of the tunnel), a Westminster alum (who had walked through the tunnel as a college student and could offer a historical perspective), and most importantly the physical plant director (who could give me the inside scoop on why the tunnel was closed). I conducted the three interviews, captured some nat sound, and even did my "stand up" from inside the tunnel. (The physical plant director let me walk a couple steps into the tunnel just so I could see the inside).

It was an opportunity of a lifetime and an experience most Westminster students do not get to have at the college. I would tell you more about what I found out, but you should just click here to check out the exclusive story! I think it's really important to put yourself out there, so future employers can see what you can do. So my advice is, share your work and show your strengths!

1 comment:

Brad Weaver, BC Instructor said...

Could this be a television story?