Thursday, February 7, 2008

Big Happenings in the Borough...

A lot is happening in the wonderful world of news here in New Wilmington…My first assignment for my Broadcast Journalism II class (TV Reporting) was to attend February’s New Wilmington Borough Council meeting with two other students, Jordan and Alex, and to develop a story (either a VO, a VO/SOT, or a package) from the meeting for television. It’s not like the borough meetings are foreign to me, but I had never covered them with this goal in mind. Last semester, I went to all of the borough meetings with my Broadcast Journalism I class (Radio News). However, the intent for that class was to come back with a story for radio news, either an ACT or a WRAP. Let me tell you…television stories take a lot more time to do, but it’s worth it!

I was excited to be assigned this meeting because the council was supposed to make their final decision about whether to sell the cable TV and Internet system or not to Armstrong Cable. (Comcast made a bid earlier on in the process, but their bid expired in December). I had been following this story for months for radio news since the council kept putting off the decision because members did not feel they had enough information to make the decision. If the council did not sell the system, it would have to pay for the upgrade of the system to accommodate digital and HDTV channels by 2009 per a FCC mandate. After reviewing a report from a hired consultant, the council voted 5-to-1 to sell.

Alex jumped on this story, so Jordan and I decided to work on two other top stories regarding the police department. One: New Wilmington police officers are now armed with Tasers. Two: The department was looking to hire another full-time police officer. With all the information we needed from the borough meeting, we set out to get some cover video. In the end, Jordan and I made two stories that would flow back-to-back: a Taser VO and a New Police Officer VO/SOT/VO. I enjoyed working with the police officer, because it made me feel like I’m really getting into the broadcasting business. And the best thing is…we’re done with this week’s assignment way ahead of the deadline!!

1 comment:

Brad Weaver, BC Instructor said...

It would seem you have inherited the "police beat" in the newsroom. Your on good terms with the NWPD and you have developed a reputation with them when it comes to radio and television coverage.