Tuesday, July 31, 2007

It's Been a Hard Day's Night...

I love the Beatles. So, naturally, I was excited to hear that John needed interns to help out at WHK's Beatles Tribute concert at the House of Blues on Sat. July 21. Unfortunately, I realized I had prior commitments that evening, but I could help out earlier in the day with the setup and the special live broadcast before the concert.

As I
had mentioned in an earlier post, WHK Radio 1420 AM is celebrating their 85th anniversary this year; the station has been broadcasting since 1922. WHK is one of the oldest radio stations in the country! To learn more about WHK throughout the years, you can visit the following link WHK's History! Many people especially remember WHK because the station brought the Beatles to Cleveland in 1964. Check out this link! The Beatles!

Therefore, in celebration of its 85th anniversary, the station decided to ho
ld a Beatles Tribute concert, featuring local Beatles tribute band, Hard Day's Night. The week before the concert, the other interns and I spent hours stuffing bags for the event and calling those who had won tickets to remind them about the special live broadcast. On Saturday afternoon, Andrea and I drove down to the House of Blues together. We were in charge of the setup: the VIP and tickets table, the WHK memorabilia, the sponsor's table, and the broadcast table. Also, one man was there selling pictures he took of the Beatles. The broadcast consisted of John interviewing former WHK personalities Bill "Smoochie" Gordon, Carl Reese, Bob Friend, and John Webster. Once the broadcast started, Andrea and I were in charge of handing out the tickets to those who won tickets on-air as well as handing out the VIP bags, which included T-shirts, badges, etc. At the end of the pre-concert activities, I had to leave, but I definitely wish I could have stayed!! I've seen Hard Days Night before, and the band is great :) Overall, the event was very interesting; I got to learn more about WHK's history and talk to some of the former WHK personalities.

No comments: