Tuesday, July 31, 2007

One Busy Weekend!!

The early part of July was not that eventful (allowing me to spend some time with family and friends for the 4th of July), but the weekend of July 13th-15th was a super busy one. On Friday night, I helped out with a remote at St. John West Shore Arts Festival located on the hospital grounds. Although I had never heard of this festival before, the place was packed with people. When I arrived, I spotted Len prerecording his call-ins from his cell phone. As soon as John showed up, I assisted with the setup of the table and the sound system. Overall, this event was pretty enjoyable, and the landscape was beautiful. In addition, I got the chance to talk to Len a lot about my broadcasting experience at school; he suggested that I give him a copy of my air check/radio resume!!! (Later the following week, I handed in a copy of my radio resume; although nothing has come of it yet, Len originally had said he was looking for DJ help on the weekend...you never know what may happen in the future...)

The following day, Sat. July 14, I assisted with a remote at the Holden Arboretum. The morning was kind of slow, but it was great to get to know the morning show Info to Go guy, Mark Rein, who was there to do call-ins. This park was beautiful and also featured a special mini-train display. Also, that night was Indians Faith and Family Night at Jacob's Field, brought to you by the Fish and the Cleveland Indians!! I had been waiting for this event all summer, since I'm such a huge Indians fan!!!!!!! Andrea and I drove down together and met John at the gate. After getting our tickets, we went to listen to a player faith testimonial from Indians pitcher, Paul Byrd. His story was very inspirational and made me realize how important it is to listen to God and follow his path for us. Also, before the testimonial, I ran into another Westminster broadcast major, Chris Norris. Chris is going to be a senior next year and is lucky enough to be interning with the Indians this summer!! I was hoping to run into him while I was there, and it was such a coincidence that he happened to be helping with the speaker system for the player testimonial. Chris told me about his experience at the Jake so far; he also mentioned that his Indians music video montage would be playing on the jumbotron that night in the middle of the first inning. I was so excited to see all of his hard work. The music video looked amazing :) Be sure to check out Chris Norris's blog to see the video and learn more about his broadcasting experience http://www.chuckonorris.blogspot.com

The rest of the night was extremely fun; Andrea and I got to stay and watch the game for free. Although the Indians lost (5-6), I still had a great time. And following the game, we set up for a special post-game concert between the Jake and the Q featuring Michael Tait of DC Talk (one of my favorite Christian bands)!! Despite a little rain, the concert was a success!! Plus, I got to hear one of my DC Talk songs, In the Light!! Michael Tait is now performing with his own band, Tait, and is preparing for his new CD, Loveology, to be released this fall ; I did enjoy his own solo music as well. I think he sounded a lot like Matisyahu. Check out his band's website, Tait the band!! The weekend tired me out, so I was definitely glad to get a break that Sunday; however, I was happy and grateful for all of the opportunities I had that weekend :)

No comments: