Monday, July 9, 2007

U.S. Open at Oakmont!!!!!

I've been extremely busy with my internship (and 4th of July festivities) to keep up on my blogging, so I'm going to start where I left off! The weekend of June 15-June17 was a very, very busy weekend for me. On Friday night, I baby-sat two kids that I've been baby-sitting for a long time. The following morning, I helped out at a radio remote at the Klaben Auto Store in Kent. Brooke, a morning co-host with Len, did her breaks live using her cell phone, which I thought was so simple, yet cool because for our remotes at college we used a marti system. Unfortunately, the turn-out wasn't huge (probably because it was 10-noon in the morning on Father's Day weekend), but I still had fun setting up the Fish prize wheel and talking to the listeners. However, the best was yet to come!!!

On Sunday morning, I got up early, ready for a full day of media fun :) I was lucky enough to be traveling to Oakmont Golf Course near Pittsburgh. One of the AM radio stations owned by Salem Communications was broadcasting live from the U.S. OPEN!!!! AND I got to help them out!!!!!!!! First let me explain...Salem Communications owns four radio stations in the Cleveland area: WFHM FM 95.5 the Fish, WHKW AM 1220 the Word (a Christian talk radio station), and WHK AM 1420 and WHKZ AM 1440 (both news and talk radio stations). All of these radio stations broadcast from the same office in Independence.

Anyways, 1420 AM, which is celebrating its 85th anniversary, has a golf show on Sunday evenings from 5-7 p.m. (I learned a little about WHK's history during the ride down from John)!! The DJs decided to broadcast their show live from the U.S. Open since it was only a couple of hours away from Cleveland. One of my bosses, John, and his partner Michael host the show together. John picked me up in the Fish van, and we drove down together, swapping stories during the drive. We arrived around 11:00 or so, and proceeded to the media center. Before I could do anything, I had to get a media pass/badge with my picture on it!! I got to keep it as a souvenir!! John and I found our booth inside the media center labeled Salem Broadcasting and set up our equipment. Later on, we met up with Michael and his family...and walked around the golf course so the two guys could get the feel for the course and the tournament. They took a lot of "mental" notes to help them figure out what they would talk about during their golf show. Around 4:00, we went back to the media center to get some free food and to prepare for the show. Inside the media center, flash interviews from the players could be seen as well as all kinds of info and stats, which were updated almost instantly.

During the show, my job was to collect any interview, info, and stat sheets that were published as time passed as well as get updated scores and stats from the public computers. It was AWESOME!! I loved being in the media center, meeting and seeing people from all kinds of media: radio stations, television stations, and newspapers. Our booth was two over from BBC radio!! When the golf show ended, the last two golfers, one being Tiger Woods, were still on the 17th hole, so we ran out to the golf course. The 18th hole was packed, but I got a glimpse of Tiger through the crowd. The whole crowd groaned when Tiger missed tying for first with Cabrera...John and I then stayed to watch the award ceremony (I was standing about 25 feet or so from Tiger)!! Strangely enough, I ran into another Westminster broadcast major, Danielle, who had been working at the U.S. Open all week (I think as security?). Afterward, John and I packed up our equipment and headed back home, grabbing dinner on the way. I was EXHAUSTED after a 14-hours on the job, but I had the BEST time!!! Clink on the following link to learn more about WHK AM 1420's golf show! WHK's golf show with John and Michael!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nicky,
I intern at the Fish right now. Are you the Nicole that is on air on some weekends? I'm working to create some music beds for Len. I also am doing the internship in the Promo dept. Any hints, insight you can offer would be great.

Sincerely,
Matt Lisi