Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Tribute...

I'm reflecting a lot this semester for capstone, looking back at who has shaped and influenced my life and my career goals. Many of those people during my time at college have included my professors. This week I'll take a turn back to the beginning of my college journey to someone who has helped me a lot along the way and given me numerous opportunities to expand my knowledge of the broadcasting business.

My first broadcast professor was Dr. David Barner, known to the broadcast crowd and on the air as the one and only, Dr. B. The very first broadcast class I needed to take was Audio Production, that's Dr. B's "thing." He loves radio; it's his passion. And, his teaching style definitely showed it. I remember one of the first days of class, he handed out, "Dr. B's Tips for Success in Broadcasting." Ever since then, I've tried to keep his advice in mind, and throughout my experience
here at Westminster and during my internships and part-time jobs, this information has proven true.

One of the most important tips was "don't wait to get involved." And so, I didn't. The first semester, I was trying out the remote crew and a couple DJ shifts on Titan Radio in the evening. The following semester, I challenged myself by working on radio news and improving my radio personality, so that I sounded more conversational. Listening to Dr. B especially helped me in that area. Then, during my second year, I jumped right into TV stuff, too. I went out with Aidan Mewha, a previous producer and reporter for our TV college show, The County Line. She showed me how to film and how to put together a package. After that, I was on a roll, trying out new angles for different TV stories. Plus, my roommate Kristin and I started producing and DJing the Covenant Christian radio show on Sunday nights. Which brings me to another one of Dr. B's tips: "the best way to learn is to just do it yourself."

Now that doesn't mean you have to do EVERYTHING yourself; you need to learn to work well with other colleagues, but what I basically mean is that you don't know what any thing is like until you actually experience it for yourself. So, the following year, I took the next step, thanks to Dr. B's recommendation. Toward the end of Broadcast Journalism, which focused on radio news, I applied for a part-time position at WKST, an AM news talk station in New Castle. Dr. B knew the program director, so he passed along my name to him. All I had to do was send Ken Hlebovy at WKST a resume sample. Ken was impressed; so after a short interview, I got the job. My hard work had paid off, but I never would have known about the position at all, if it wasn't for Dr. B.

During my last year at college, Dr. B continues to give me many opportunities to learn and to grow. He asked me to serve as the News Director for Titan Radio this year and to return as the Director for Coach's Corner, a half-hour sports interview show. This short blog is just a small way to say thanks!

1 comment:

Brad Weaver, BC Instructor said...

Those who seize opportunity move foreward to success.