Tuesday, September 30, 2008

The Journey of a Feature Reporter...

It's almost time to wrap up my capstone class by presenting my senior project to my professors, family and friends. I've finally got it squared away! So here's the details...everyone is invited!

What: Nicky Piszczor’s Senior Capstone Presentation:
“Reliving History through Feature Storytelling”
Date: Monday, November 17, 2008
Time: 7:00 p.m.
Location: Witherspoon Maple Room
McKelvey Campus Center
Westminster College
New Wilmington, PA

In the broadcasting world, good feature storytelling captures the human interest. Sometimes television reporters are so busy trying to get the “hard news,” that they miss out on the opportunities for captivating stories that are right in front of them everyday.

I will attempt to break this routine by taking on the role of a one-man-band feature videographer and reporter to learn more about the interesting historical stories of Lawrence County. I will explore the art of feature storytelling and create/produce three to four television feature stories, which will air on the County Line every other week. I plan to make this a special story segment on the County Line!

At the end of my project, I combine my stories to create a short film, entitled “Lawrence County: A Community Rooted in History.” This film will encompass the major historical time periods in Lawrence County: from when the Native Americans roamed the land, to the official founding of Lawrence County, to the Civil War period, to the industrial world and beyond. This area has interesting facts, just waiting to be uncovered; it's my job to bring them to the surface!

The short film will take a glimpse at Lawrence County’s deep historical roots throughout the years. Many different Native American tribes roamed the lands and lived along the waterways thousands of years ago. Then, European settlers moved west across Pennsylvania and decided Lawrence County was a great place to call home.

These settlers were strong in their dedication to this country; residents fought to protect their freedom. Lawrence County also was deeply involved in the abolitionist movement as a major stop along the Underground Railroad.

The mid to late 1900s shows a modern day community dependent upon industry and agriculture. Today, Lawrence County continues to thrive with its beautiful Amish countryside, McConnell's Mills State Park, Cascade Park and various other attractions and events; plus, Lawrence County is home to the Fireworks Capital of America.

Throughout my project, I will seek advice from my contacts at Newschannel 5, the Lawrence County Historical Society and other local historians in the county. In addition, I will expand my work to cover the web and the radio, by developing stories for both. Plus, I'll post my TV stories on this blog! Come see how a feature videographer and reporter redefines the art of storytelling!

Here's my first story on the Native Americans!


No comments: