Thursday, November 6, 2008

The Job Seach Begins...

During the past two years, I've really started to look more at job opportunities to pursue after I graduate. This week's class assignment wanted me to take this a step further. We were asked to find a job posting that we be interested applying for, describe the job, and create a cover letter we would send to that company.

I'm not going to lie...this was really hard for me. I would like to stay near home (Cleveland, OH), but I was having trouble finding any job openings near my hometown. After searching for awhile, I decided to just look for a job that I would enjoy doing after college...I mean you've got to be flexible.

In the end, I chose a job posting for a "Multi-Media Journalist" at KNXV-15 (ABC) Phoenix. Not only does this career interest me, I think I would have a good chance getting this job because the TV station is owned by The E.W. Scripps Company, which also owns WEWS-Newschannel 5 in Cleveland where I interned this past summer. I could probably get a personal reference from those I worked with at my internship. Here's the job posting/details:
Job Title: Multi-Media Journalist
Status: Full Time
Location: KNXV-15 (ABC) Phoenix

Job Description:
1. Report, write, shoot, edit and produce stories for multiple platforms on deadline, such as Internet
2. Research and develop original news stories
3. Gather facts to support specific assigned news stories
4. Record & edit video to support the presentation of assigned news stories
5. Conduct and record live interviews
6. Deliver compelling, well-written stories
7. Perform other duties as needed and as directed by news managers

Now here's my cover letter...remember, this is a class assignment!

Dear Anice Stonerock:

As a current reporter and producer for the County Line, Westminster College's TV news show, I am very interested in working for KNVX as a multi-media journalist. I am a senior broadcast communications that will graduate in May 2009. I have more than two solid years of television reporting and producing experience.

Students are in charge of producing and running the County Line, a 30-minute live news show, once every week. This year, I have taken on the leadership role as Executive Producer for the show. I have to oversee everything. In addition, my senior project is focused on reporting, so I have been researching, shooting, writing, and editing my own stories all semester. Before this year, I have been a consistent reporter for the show.

Not only do I have hands-on experience at school, I also interned at WEWS-Newschannel 5 this past summer. I mostly worked with the noon news producer, researching, writing, and organizing the show. However, I also had the chance to go out reporters and write my own stories for the show. I know what it is like to work in the pressure of the newsroom.

In addition, I worked in other areas of broadcasting that will help me as multi-media journalist. I have experience directing, technical directing, and anchoring for the County Line; plus I am the director for our school's weekly sports interview show, Coach's Corner. Also, I have excellent writing skills. I know how to write, report, and anchor radio news, and this year I serve as Titan Radio News Director at Westminster. I even worked as a part-time news producer and anchor at WKST 1200 AM in New Castle, PA, for close to a year.

Also, I would bring creativity to the job, since the station is looking for original, fresh stories. I utilized my creative abilities when I interned in radio promotions at 95.5 the Fish radio station in the Independence, OH, two summers ago. Also, I currently DJ and produce a Christian-contemporary music radio show on Titan Radio every Sunday night.

I would greatly appreciate considering me for the multi-media journalist position at KNVX. Please feel free to contact me on my cell phone at (4xx) xxx-xxxx or by e-mail at npiszczor@gmail.com. I look forward to the opportunity to broaden my experience as a broadcaster.

Thank you for your consideration.

Sincerely,

Nicole T. Piszczor

1 comment:

Brad Weaver, BC Instructor said...

You might want to replace the telephone number. Try what Shayna did...XXX-XXX-XXX