Thursday, October 16, 2008

Time to Step Up!

It's hard to think right now of my life beyond college, well rather, Westminster's broadcast department continuing without me. This is not to say that I do it all without any help, but more to say that for four years, I've put a lot of hard work, time, and effort into doing something I love and that I'm proud to put on air.

However, the time is drawing near, when I'll have to say my last words to broadcasting here at Westminster and "pass along the torch" to a younger generation. So, here in lies my consideration for this week: who will step up and lead the way next year?

I must say I admire and respect a number of upcoming students. Many have worked hard to contribute their time and talents to this broadcast crew, this team. However, I especially see a lot of potential and growth in one student: junior Ryan Hitchcock.

Ryan is kind of soft-spoken; he doesn't go around bragging about anything, but he knows his stuff. Plus, Ryan just seems to get it...he gets that this business is not for wimps and that you just need to get the job done right: that's what it's all about in the end.

Ryan has gotten involved with a majority of broadcast-related areas on campus. I know he's dabbled in TV remotes and still keeps true to radio DJing and radio news producing/anchoring. In particular, Ryan strikes me as very "real," when he's on the air, DJing. He's very conversational and talks like he would to anyone throughout his regular day. Also, his radio news skills have improved tremendously so far this semester, as he's taking BC 311, which focuses on radio news reporting.

Overall, I think I'm most impressed with Ryan because of his step forward in TV this year. He knows how to put together VO/SOTs and a simple package, but ultimately Ryan was interested in TDing and directing, so he made sure both Doug, the other director, and I knew that from the get go. Already, Ryan has TDed an entire show himself, and he did pretty well. To me, Ryan seemed to emerge from nowhere, in terms of TV, and I'm proud that he expressed this interest right away, so he can gain experience earlier on during his time here at Westminster College.

Eventually, a couple more shows in, Doug and I will teach Ryan how to direct; hopefully, he take the TV Producing class and the TV Directing practicum next semester, so he can work on these skills. In the future, five to ten years down the road, I could see Ryan directing the news for a local TV affiliate station; so of course, it would be beneficial for me to keep in contact with him. Ryan could help me network within that station area and market.

I'm just excited to see so much enthusiasm in Ryan, that I won't have to worry when I leave the role as director next year. Plus, I think Ryan would be good at TV producing, too, if he gave it a try...

No comments: